R:.W:. C. ALLEN PATTISON, 33į
September 1, 1907 - April 7, 2002
C. Allen Pattison was born in New Castle, Pennsylvania on September 1, 1907 and in 1924 came to Florida to work with his grandfather in the building business and served his apprenticeship as a stone cutter and bricklayer. Pat returned north and, on March 31, 1928, married his school sweetheart, Ida. Pat and Ida had two sons, Dave Pattsion and the late Don Pattison, four grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Pat and Ida settled in Akron, Ohio, where he joined Akron Lodge No. 83 in 1936. Over the next four years he joined the York Rite, Scottish Rite and Shrine in Akron.
Pat returned to Florida, first to the Palmetto area and then to Venice for the purpose of building the apartments and a hotel at Golden Beach. How very fortunate Venice was because Pat came and stayed.
Patís accomplishments are many. In the Masonic Fraternity Pat achieved something very few of us ever do. You see he was both an operative mason, having served his apprenticeship as a stone cutter and brick layer, and a speculative mason, as most us are. Some of his operative work still stands today, such as the stone work of Venice Bon Secour Hospital which he cut, fit and set as well as several other buildings around Venice and his speculative work continued through out his life.
Yes, Pat loved his Masonic family. He was responsible for the founding of Venice Lodge in 1950 and served as its Master in 1951.
He served as:
- Worthy Patron of Venice O. E. S. in 1953
- Monarch of Samoor Grotto in 1953
- President of the Florida State Grotto Association in 1954
- President of the Masters and Wardens Association in 1955
- District Deputy Grand Master in 1955
- President of the Venice Shrine Club in 1958
- Awarded DeMolay Legion of Honor in 1958
- Honorary Chevalier Degree in 1959
- District Deputy Grand Master. Grand Council Royal and Select Masters in 1960
- Awarded Knight York Cross of Honor in 1963
- Started Englewood Lodge 1965, served as Master 1965, 67, 68
- Elected and Coroneted 33 Degree 1979
- Awarded Distinguished Service Medal by the General Grand Chapter, Royal Arch Masons in 1980
- Awarded Distinguished Service Medal by the General Grand Council, Royal and Select Masters
- Charter Member of Sahib Shrine Center in 1983
- Awarded Honor of Grand Tyler Emeritus in 1994
- And two weeks before his death Pat was still serving Venice Lodge as its Chaplain.
Pat was a man of many talents. Many people have received one of the monkeys carved from peach pits which he often gave to his friends.
He was a 44 year member of the Lions Club and a Past President. He had 42 years of perfect attendance.
He was Past Exalted Ruler of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is their current Chaplain.
He gave 42 years of service to the General Contractor Licensing and Examining Board for Sarasota County.
He was Chairman of the Board of Appeals Committee for the City of Venice.
This is but a thumb nail sketch of a great manís accomplishments. What a full and wonderful life he had, always working for the betterment of his community.
Given April 10, 2002 by Brother Lou Ortt, KCCH
at Venice Lodge No. 301
Return to Previous Page